Daughters of the British Empire in Northern California History
- Founded in the United States in 1909, as the Imperial Order Daughters of the British Empire in the USA.
- Incorporated in Delaware in 1920 and became known as the National Society Daughters of the British Empire in the USA.
- Visit the National Society website for additional information.
- DBE in Northern California was originally established in 1939 and re-established in 1989.
- Membership is extended to women residing in the U.S. who are of British or British Commonwealth birth or ancestry.
- Women who are naturalized British or British Commonwealth subjects or citizens.
- Women who are the wives or partners of persons of proven British or British Commonwealth birth or ancestry.
- DBE is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization made up of women with a common bond of British or British Commonwealth heritage and ancestry.
- The organization fundraises to support four District Homes for senior citizens established by the DBE in California, Illinois, New York, and Texas,
- DBE members also raise funds and contribute significantly to the local charities of our many chapters,
- Members in our organization enjoy many social activities, and friendships, but have a main focus of philanthropy and fellowship and to foster an understanding of British and British Commonwealth cultures and traditions.
- DBE in Northern California helps support the Western District Home, located in Sierra Madre, California. Members of DBE in Northern California help this Home, both financially through fundraisers and in friendship. Each Chapter has an “adopted” resident to whom they send letters and greeting cards, and whom they may visit when in the area.
- National Society, Daughters of the British Empire in the U.S.A. Founded in 1909 the society adopted the name Daughters of the British Empire in the U.S.A. (DBE) in 1920. It is a non-profit, nonpolitical, non-sectarian, voluntary society of women of British or Commonwealth birth or ancestry, or wives of men who are of British or Commonwealth birth.
- For more information please visit the National Society website.
- DBE is a Charter Member and helps support the Peace Garden with voluntary contributions from members.
- DBE Northern California realizes the importance of being able to communicate with us. Information can be obtained by contacting:
|Francine Thomas||Northern California State Presidentemail@example.com|
|JoAnne Schov||State Organizer||www.dbenca.org|
|DBE National website||wwww.dbenational.org|